Do you ever look at your dog and think, “How did I get so lucky?” With St. Patrick’s Day coming up, show your canine companion just how lucky you feel with this homemade dog treat recipe! These clover-shaped treats are made with healthy ingredients and are simple to make. Now, let’s whip out those oven mitts and get baking!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup spinach leaves
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup instant oatmeal
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- Measuring cups
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Mixing bowl
- Hand mixer (or food processor)
- Clover (or shamrock) shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Finely chop the spinach.
- In a large bowl, combine all the wet ingredients with a hand mixer, gradually mixing in the dry ingredients. If you don’t have a mixer, that’s okay- a little elbow grease works too!
- Sprinkle some flour onto a clean, clear surface and roll the dough into a ball.
- Use your hands or a rolling pin if you have one to flatten the dough.
- Cut the dough into clover shapes using the cookie cutter.
- Place the clovers onto a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool on a rack before serving to your pup in celebration of St. Paddy’s Day!
You can store the treats in an airtight container for up to a week. If you make this recipe, let us know how it turns out on Instagram! Tag us at @vetriscience and we’ll repost it on our account!